Saturday, July 6, 2013

Kristen Comments...

I was nearly fine with leaving mistakes in the border till I read Kristen’s comments:

KristenSaturday, July 6, 2013 at 8:34:00 AM EDT
I think it looks great, and good for you for being able to leave your mistakes! So far I can't do that, crazy perfectionist that I am!

Now, true to form, I do not think I can keep going knowing all the mistakes that are in the border!


Before I read the comment just a few minutes ago, I was going to post and ask tatters what I should do -  treat this as an exercise OR start again now that I have had some practice, after I had perused Snowy’s blog and pondered...

There are a lot of errors and the picot sizes are all over the place. Really, I think I must start again and not rush,  but rather keep it as a long-term project and see if I can get this #100-ish size thread looking better than it does now. At least I got around one corner and know I can do that again...

Oh, yes, I forgot to mention that I am not tatting fs/bs as it is too confusing and to return to that old debate, I am finding it easier to tat this way, once i got over battling muscle memory!

I ventured over to Frivole’s blog, to check out the posts she had about it and I am rethinking if I actually might now prefer the look, as well as the ease of tatting this way! There is definitely a different appearance to it that initially I had considered to be not as attractive, but now I am not so sure.

At any rate, for this tiny stuff there is no option.


Ah, Kristen, you are the voice of my own conscience! Thanks. : ))

************************

Surprises in the mail from Suneeti!


Thank you very much, my dear friend, 
for remembering the Boys,


and for sending all this deliciously amazing thread to me! 
WOW!

************************

Another wonderful gift arrived yesterday from my son, on his birthday, back from Peru. Thinking of my tatting, the lad found this!


It is even lined with a waterproof, anti-poke-through material. Delightful!

The shuttle that I sent with him was given to a woman in the small village where he purchased the case. An interpreter helped Adam explain about tatting, ( THAT must have been interesting!!!) and also left her with a couple of tatted pretties. He said she was very pleased; I saw the photos and would agree. This of course thrilled my little tatter’s heart immensely!

I sent other motifs so that Adam could give them to his guide. Apparently the man said his wife would be very interested in the tatting. All good! Mission accomplished.

Mr G is not sure at all 
what the fuss was all about...
Definitely not impressed.

22 comments:

  1. Good for you for getting the valdani to work for you. I received a sample of valdani a few years back, tried tatting with it but don't really like it very much.

    If you are starting again with the edging, I would suggest that you make the picot where the chain is joined to, quite small. That will remove that picot space and make that part of it appear symmetrical.
    psst ... that is the perfectionost part of me speaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks, Jon! I know!

      I WAS trying to keep them small! There is such a lot of work needed for me to get control of the tension and sizing of the picots. In my head I can do it, but the muscles, well, the muscles must be flabby! Running works for the body, but unfortunately the fingers are a whole other kettle if fish!
      Fox : ))

      Delete
  2. Wow, I love your Peruvian bag! And it has such a story attached to it, I love that too. I think when you're learning something, stopping for each mistake means you don't make any progress. But then when it comes to the 'real deal', those mistakes can leap out at you every time you look at the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfectionism is such a pain!!! I try my best to ignore mine, but sometimes I just have to give in. I like your border!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see no point in tatting fs/bs on a hanky. I mean your nose doesn't mind what side it's blown on!!! I use fs/bs mostly on things which I KNOW are only going to be seen on the 'front' side. Pointless operation otherwise!!! LOVE the threads and the tatting containers. They really zing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As usual Jane....perfectly true and well said!!

      Delete
    2. Oh ya! That's our Jane, all right! I giggled aloud!
      Fox : ))

      Delete
  5. I was just telling DH this morning about your son 'going to' Peru, and he's back already! And Mission accomplished, spreading he word of tatting to the ends of the earth! Sounds like the adventures of Marco Polo! That bag is a real treasure!

    This Valdani 100 thread discussion makes my head spin. I can't even imagine tatting with it! I think it's amazing you would choose to tat with ANY 100 thread, but I think this edging looks just fine ( no pun intended). I also can't believe how much tatting you do every day!

    Always fun to see Gian! Love the new ball. I've seen those on TV shows about cats. Sounds like a good idea for a gift for my neighbor's cat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy,
      I love your enthusiasm! Thanks for your comment.
      Fox : )

      Delete
  6. A wise man with whom I've worked for 24 years just retired after 39 years in the same school. He said "remember the goal isn't perfection, it's improvement." My new motto.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wise, yes. But it just doesn’t work for me. Sounds like “trying.” I think I am more of a" just do it” kinda gal!
    Fox : ))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fox...... only redo something YOU are not happy with. The thread you are using is very fine and it is on an article that is not designed to lay flat 100% of the time.....If you can look at it and be satisfied with the look then that it the decider. Not what other would or would not do.....If you want to retry that pattern pick another project and make it your "perfect" piece!!! Sometimes fretting over it does you no good. Truly - it looks fine!

    Love you bag - a beautiful prezzie from your son and a lovely reminder of the trip. I am glad you were able to give a tatting smile to some locals!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Liyarra! You must realize by now, I am NEVER happy with my results and how I LOVE - no NEED - to broadcast it all over Tat-Land!

      Like Michelle, you have wise words and the best intentions, bur remember, you are dealing with...
      Forever Fretting Fox : ))

      Delete
  9. Oh no! I'm so glad you took my comment in the spirit is was intended! I am just marveling at your willingness to have a go with the 100 thread; I'm quaking in my boots contemplating 40 and maybe even 80! :) Also, what a good idea to send your tatting to Peru! Tatting seems to be somewhat popular here in Russia (although I have yet to actually meet someone here who can do it) but I'm planning to teach a couple classes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just think, Kristen - you might just spark off a revolution - ahem.... a tatting one, I mean! Great to teach a course. Good luck with teaching!

      Size 40 is not that much of a change. Why don't you send me your email address and I'll send you a sample to try? Mine is with my profile.
      Fox : )

      Delete
    2. Ah yes, just what Russia needs, another revolution. ;) An e-mail has been sent! :)

      Delete
  10. Fox,I think the border with that thread looks rather rich..I like it.I am always in awe of your tatting..Myself have never used anything smaller than a size 20.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are kind, Patti! Thank you.

      I used 20 for a while when I began tatting because I could only buy Cebelia #20 locally.

      Lucky for us in Tat-Land that there is so much available to us, supplies and info via the Internet. I cannot imagine what is was like just a few years ago, when tatters were all on their own, without supportive communication.

      Fox, waxing philosophic..... : ))

      Delete
  11. Hi Fox

    Michelle words are indeed wise, you say some if the picots are larger, I had a look and I can't see any problems I am sure if you look at a lot of different tatting done by loads of tatters, there are some picots larger than others. We all seek perfection but 100per cent perfection does not always happen.
    I think Gian has heard it all before, hence the look.
    Love to Gian.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He most certainly has heard it all, all right! : ))
      Fox

      Delete