Saturday, December 10, 2011

A Personal Best

It is the best thing to date that I have tatted.  
#28-100 Motif Challenge
Yup.  I deem it so.

This is a Susanne Schwenke pattern from one of the two books of hers that I bought, having been so inspired by umintsuru.

I loved how hers turned out, and wanted to tat the patterns myself.  Till today, I have had hideous problems with the unusual directional instructions, once emailing umuntsuru late into the night, desperate for help - which she graciously and very quickly delivered!

This pattern is more complicated than others in the books that I have attempted, and I followed it very, very slowly, methodically et voilá!

Interestingly, I had to undo the last repeat and finger tat the last few rings and chains, because I had already cut the thread.  No problemo!

Also, I have discovered that I have been doing something wrong since the very beginning of tatting life.  When you tat in a bubble all alone, you do not realize what others might see right away if they were there to notice.

I have always tatted f/s and b/s.  When tatting on the front, I pull  downward through the picots, but I have been twisting the thread because I was holding the pulled-up loop in the wrong place, causing a twist every time!  I saw this very clearly after 3 years, in this motif!

Afterthought:  I did change the pattern in one place.  Instead of a tiny ring of 5 ds, I tatted 10 JKs.

13 comments:

  1. That is a gorgeous snowflake, you must have a beautifully decorated house.
    happy tatting
    Josie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds to me that maybe NN should come out to play!!! :)))
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last night I was reading your previous post and noticed in the comments that someone had asked what the pattern was (and being the Fox that you are, so slyly said: "It is a secret till done! You will have to guess. : ) "

    So I immediately took to looking up past posts with a photo that resembled the one you had posted... I went all the way back to your first bloggin efforts and found myself pushing the mystery pattern search to the back burner for I was engrossed in your ramblings.

    Needless to say, I had to give up for it was getting late - but thank you for a very interesting and entertaining evening!

    Have you ever gone back and read your postings? Do you realize how far you've come and how much you've accomplished?

    Well done, dear Fox - you should be proud

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't that beautiful!! Congratulations, Fox. I think I prefer the CWs too. We learn new things everyday, don't we. I do enjoy Susanne's patterns. Hope you find them interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, All! Wonderful comments.

    Kelly - Not on your life!!! : )))

    Lily - an email to follow. I am so touched by your words. : O

    ReplyDelete
  6. gorgeous Fox. Way to go!!

    sang my brains out this afternoon, so they are not functioning well, what is CW?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woops! Ladytats, my brains are worse than yours! I meant Josephine Knots, but was thinking Catherine Wheels! Thanks for the nudge!
    Fox : ))

    ReplyDelete